The Monastery of Aghios Demetrios (Tourkobaloukou) lies near the right bank of the River Kokytos, a tributary of the Acheron, in the vicinity of Kypseli village. As a plinth inscription testifies, its church was built by the Despot of Epirus Michail II Doukas in 1242, as was the monastery refectory (Trapeza), later converted into the church of Aghios Georgios. The side chapels were added later and the narthex around the late 13th century.
The wall paintings in the church date to the 17th-18th century, and both church and refectory survive in good condition. The church is three-aisled in cruciform, with auxiliary buildings on three sides, a narthex to the west and apartments to the north and south. Its walls are of limestone faced with brick, with rich plaster decoration, particularly in the apse.

